Seen here at around 1500 after the brick gatehouse was added. The Abbey had already been relocated from its original location near the sea in 1370 due to extensive flooding.
Following the dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530s the abbey was surrendered to the King who then gifted the remains to the Duke of Suffolk. He built a farmhouse in the corner of the nave and the north transept and the abbey ruins were used as farm buildings. The church itself was used as a barn.
The Abbey ruins are now owned by English Heritage and the farm buildings are managed by The National School for Young Chamber Music Players.