The Durham Exchequer House
was built in the 1440s and is one of the oldest buildings on Palace Green in the city of Durham.
The building played an important administrative role for the bishops of Durham and housed the Chancery court and the bishops financial offices.
It was designed as the public face to the bishops administrations, where he could manage his land his tenants and his business.
The Exchequer was separate from the domestic sphere of the castle and the religious world of the cathedral, and its architecture proudly displayed the bishops power.
Durhams Chancery court was of national importance. It was one of only two courts outside Westminster where equity disputes could be settled.
Use the slider below to compare the 1400 exchequer and the building as it exists today.